For as long as I’ve worked as a holistic health counselor, year after year, someone always asks me the same question: What do you think about the flu vaccines? Followed by: How do you prevent cold and flu or address it with natural remedies?
Personally, I’ve never had a flu shot. Through extensive research, I have come to the conclusion that getting the flu vaccination does not guarantee that we will not get sick this flu season. Also, we need to weigh the small percentage of “flu protection” versus the toxic side effects the vaccines may produce.
According to Dr. Mercola, the flu vaccine’s effectiveness is 56% across all age groups and in the older population, 65 and older, only 9%.
The effectiveness of this vaccine is not the only reason we should reconsider being vaccinated.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Protection, flu vaccines contain toxic substances that can create various health issues and in rare cases, even cause death.
Some of the ingredients in flu vaccines:
- Formaldehyde, which is considered a carcinogen;
- MSG, known to cause migraines, heart palpitations, neurological disorders, hair loss and asthma;
- Polysorbate 80, known to cause infertility in mice;
- Mercury (we all know the dangerous side effects of this heavy metal on our body and brain);
- Antibiotics, aluminum, sodium chloride, etc.
Considering that these substances can create allergies, alter our brain functions and make us sick, do we still think it is safe to get a flu vaccine and administer it to children, pregnant women and elderly?
I always encourage my clients to do their own research and get information before they rush to a pharmacy for their annual flu shot.
First, we need to understand that the exposure to viruses and bacteria does not automatically cause us getting sick. If this were the case, then all of us would have the flu and cold every year, and to the same degree; but some of us get very sick, some get mild symptoms and others are not affected by the flu at all, even if they are around sick people.
So if it is not the virus that makes us sick, what does?
It is our own physical and emotional state and our immune system that either surrender to a virus or a bug or guard it off. With this being said, I believe the best defense to staying healthy throughout the flu season is by keeping the body emotionally balanced, physically healthy and well nourished.
These are alternative remedies that I have personally tested for years and they kept me and my family well in the cold winter months.
- Managing stress with rest, a good night’s sleep, exercise and meditation are important because a run-down body has a lower defense against viruses and other pathogens.
- Wash your hands often, especially after using public transportation and visiting stores and office buildings.
- Take vitamin C, D3 and Zinc, which are good for your immune system. I also like to include liquid minerals and chlorella.
- Drink freshly squeezed juices daily with variety of vegetables and fruit.
- Take Probiotics to ensure that you have plenty of good bacteria in your gut.
- Keep coffee to a minimum and drink green or red tea instead.
- Always rinse with cold water after taking hot shower, it improves your blood flow and boosts your immune system.
If you feel like you are getting sick with cold or flu, try these remedies to get better quicker:
- Clean up your diet. Avoid all sugars, alcohol and dairy, which increase mucus production, for the exception of kefir and organic plain yogurt. Limit intake of carbohydrates. Bacteria and viruses thrive in mucus; it’s a perfect home for them.
- Increase your intake of vitamin C and Zinc. If you have a cough or congestion in your chest, take Umca which is a natural alternative for Robitussin. If you have a sore throat, gargle with sea salt or colloidal silver few times a day. I take colloidal silver orally one table spoon twice a day on and off. It is a natural antibiotic and antiviral. Drink plenty of Echinacea tea or strong green tea with raw, unprocessed honey and lemon.
- I love essential oils and always use different ones depending on the situation. Oregano oil has so many amazing benefits, including killing bacteria, fungus, viruses and parasites. Make sure the oil you buy is of very high quality. You can mix a few drops of it in olive, coconut or avocado oil and rub it on the bottom of your feet.
- Peppermint and lavender oils are great decongestants. Use few drops on a back of your neck or rub it in your palms and inhale. You can feel instant relief in the sinuses and the head congestion. Lavender oil can be applied on face and massaged gently on sinuses area.
- Baths with Epsom salt and baking soda can help with moving toxins out of your body quicker. I add 2 cups of salt and one third of the package of baking soda to warm water in the bathtub and soak in it for 30 minutes. It is very relaxing and also helps you sleep better.
- Of course, don’t underestimate the healing power of old-fashioned Grandma’s chicken soup! Use organic chicken with fresh vegetables and herbs. Add a stick of cinnamon to make it even more nutritious.